Today's thoughts

i) Remove the mess ๐Ÿงน

Today, I decided to restructure the items displayed on the index page.

The current state is that, every published markdown file was listed under recent notes section.

By 'published' I mean that is_published is set to true in frontmatter of the markdown file.

But it was a bit messy on the front page.

So I decided not to list the notes, which are part of a series, in the recent section of the index page. Just list the entry, for the series.

For example, we won't list all the notes participating in the series 'Building a markdown blog'. [But] we will list the series on index page.

ii) Projects ๐Ÿคฉ

Second, I thought of introducing a new section for listing the projects I have done or doing.
To implement this, I have introduced a new frontmatter variable is_project ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Make changes

Lets implement the above discussed changes. The only file we are going to touch today is src/pages/index.js

Update query

Update the GraphQL query to

  • filter the results with show_in_recent: { eq: true }
  • include the new variable is_project in our response.

So the query is now as below:

query SiteIndexQuery {
      sort: { fields: [frontmatter___date_modified]}
      filter: {
        frontmatter: {
          is_published: { eq: true }
          show_in_recent: { eq: true }
    ) {
      edges {
        node {
          frontmatter {

Update HTML

Next, I have updated the HTML to use introduce the new section for Projects.

For now I have done all these HTML changes in index.js file itself. But I definitely would like them to be separate react components. But that's for some other day.
You can have a look at the HTML code changes in the GitHub commit mentioned below.

This GitHub commit represents what we've done in this post ๐Ÿคฉ


If you think this is helpful ๐ŸŽˆ
Don't keep it to yourself ๐Ÿ™Š

Share it with your lovely followers at twitter ๐Ÿ—ฝ

lets connect viatwitter